| In association with
Tulsa TV Memories presents:
The Sheridan Drive-In
Opening night ad, historical data,
and most pictures provided by
Wesley Horton, AIDA curator
The Tulsa Tribune, Apr 20, 1951
|As noted at the bottom of the ad above, the Sheridan Drive-In at 4500
S. Sheridan was located across the street from Brown Airport (NE
corner of 51st and Sheridan). There is no trace of either today.
Here is a link to info about
Airport, aka Mayo aka Commercial (1st location). The 1955 inset map notes
an "Open-air theater" used by pilots to find the airport.
Crown Auto World is on the former site of the Sheridan Drive-In.
Commercial Airport, 2nd location, later became the site of the Holliday
Hills addition on the NW corner of 61st and Yale. When Holliday Hills was
built in the mid-1950s, the north-south runway strip was integrated into
the street layout. It is now a stretch of Urbana Ave.-- wider than
the average street. The old restaurant/office is a private home today.The
former Holliday Hills shopping center, on the right in this photo, is
now KingsPointe Village.
Photo from Jack Frank's
"Stuff That's Gone"